Sunday, July 22, 2012

Chevron cork board makeover





Today was a miserable rainy day.. I have been house bound since Friday with two poorly kids... and getting a little b o r e d. So I did what anyone with two couched kids would do. Clean. Makeover my corkboard!

I was given this cork board when I turned 10. My Poppa made it for me from scratch and I have loved it for  17 years since!

However all these chevron make overs I have seen about the place have made me want to try my hand at it, and I couldn't think of a better place.

Here's what my board looked like this morning....

And just because I can, here is what it looked like six years ago at my 21st...

I took a few piccies during the transformation to show how I did it. Here's a wee tutorial in a picture...

Basically I didvided the board into 6 and measured out the first 'zig zag' using what I had at hand. A book.

I then made a stencil out of an OHP transfer. I used this to help me with my spacing, and then afterwards to help trim my rough edges of tape. This made the masking job much less painful.

Off course I skipped right ahead onto painting, and I ripped the tape of straight afterwards - so no pics of that part - I was much to keen.

As you will see in the last pic, this is not a 'true' chevron pattern as I haven't continued the zig-zag at the left or right. That, my friend was pure accident! I am happy with my result, however I would probably try and get it right on my next project, which will probably be a rug!

All in all, I am happy I decided to do this rainy day update, and it took me less than an hour and a half!

Here is the finished product:

 I didn't really have anything new around to dress her up in, so I settled for some of what I already had... but I will have a play around again here soon - part of the fun.


I have a few more of these quick and easy updates up my sleeve I look forward to sharing. And if you ever thought about trying out a diy chevron update on something... do it!

Linking to:





6 comments:

  1. I love this. I will have to make one for my daughter's room

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks quite different now! I linked in a pizza made with roast chicken leftovers to Live.Laugh. Rowe's linky party. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! I have a project that I want to paint a chevron pattern on but I'm scared to do it ;) I'd love for you to share this at my Throwback Thursday link party. http://www.hubbymademe.com/throwback-thursday-no-3/ Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so great! I love taking old things and revamping them into something fresh and gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool. I love that you're a new blogger - you've set up your blog beautifully - it's very easy-on the eye (well done!)
    I look forward to seeing more of your projects on mondays!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing this at my Throwback Thursday party! Love the chevron ;) It turned out great! I hope to see you again this week!

    ReplyDelete